Glucomannan is a water soluble dietary fibre that has incredible water absorption capabilities. It is extracted from the roots of the elephant yam. It can be taken in as a supplement and a food additive at the same time. This depends on the user’s preference.
There are several ways in which this dietary fibre helps the body to lose weight. Some of these ways include the following:
- It takes up space in the stomach thus giving the body a feeling of satiety or fullness which makes the intake of food in the body quite low. When taken before meals or during meals, one feels full quickly thus stopping to eat more food. This in turn after quite some time helps to cut down the weight of an individual.
- Leads to a delay in the emptying of the stomach which leads to a feeling of satiety and fullness which makes one reduce the intake of food in the body.
- It reduces the absorption of protein and fat in the body which are responsible for weight gain in the body.
- It has a very low calorie content thus is healthy to take into the body. Foods that have high calorie content are the ones that are mostly responsible for weight gain in the body. Unlike most foodstuffs, glucomannan has low calorie content and thus does not promote a lot of weight gain.
- It promotes a feeling of satiety by taking up space in the stomach. This helps an individual reduce the level of food intake which can significantly reduce the general body weight of an individual.
- It only works when taken before meals. When taken after meals, this dietary fibre doesn’t work as well as it does when used before meals.