Neti pots can be a powerful tool for removing irritants from your nasal passages. However learning how to use them for rinsing your sinuses can be difficult and less straightforward than it seems. When done right, it can be like a soothing warm shower for your nose. Here are some tips on how to tilt your head correctly, mix the saline solution safely, and use your Neti Pot comfortably.
- Don't breathe through your nose when using it: This can cause the saline solution to go down the wrong passage!
- Tilt your head forward: Tilt your head forward enough so it won't go down your throat.
- Tilt your head sideways: Tilt your head sideways enough that the water flows out with force, but not so much that it enters your throat or ear. This balance can be tricky without a lot of practice. You may also consider buying a saline solution squeeze bottle which does not require tilting your head at all.
- Breathe through your mouth at all times: Start breathing through your mouth as you start pouring, and exhale as you start.
- Mix your saline solution correctly: Be sure to use 0.864 teaspoons or 5.3 grams of sea salt for every two cups of water. This is close to your own body's saline ratio of 0.9%. Other ingredients such as Aloe Vera and Baking Soda can be added as well for extra comfort and cleaning capabilities. Make sure the solution is stirred well. If you are not comfortable mixing your own solution, you can also buy premixed saline rinse refills.
- Use warm distilled water: For maximum comfort body temperature water is just about right. Too hot or too cold can create a stinging sensation. In rare cases brain infections can be caused by using unsanitary water.
- Water is draining down your throat: This is ok! Spit it out and clear your nostrils by exhaling, but don't hold one nostril closed like normal nose blowing-- this will send the water straight into your ears/sinuses.
- Don't blow your your nose too hard after: This will be painful! If you must blow your nose, do it gently.
- Water drains out of your sinuses after: This is normal and very common. You may want to remain over the sink for a couple of minutes after you are finished if this concerns you.
- Use a Neti Pot in the shower: This will make the experience cleaner as well as help clear up your sinuses even further. This will also help if the water drips out of your nose after you are done.
- Use a Neti Pot everyday: The more you do it, the more tolerable it becomes. We recommend developing a habit of flushing out your sinuses once in the morning when you wake up, and once at night an hour before bed.
I hope this helps you continue enjoying the many health benefits of using a Neti Pot. If you would also like to consider a no-tilt alternative, feel free to take a 15% discount off Dr. Natural Healing squeeze bottles with our discount code NOTILT15.